Our Equality Statement
At DSJ we are committed to our Public Sector equality duty (PSED), whereby we must have due regard to the need to eliminate discrimination, harassment and victimisation and any other conduct prohibited by the Equality Act 2010. We aim to ensure equality of opportunity for all pupils, staff, parents and carers irrespective of race, gender, disability, belief, sexual orientation, age or socio economic background.
Equality in our Curriculum:
- To promote spiritual, moral, social and cultural development through all appropriate curricular and extra-curricular opportunities. We aim to meet this objective with particular reference to issues of equality and diversity.
- To reduce prejudice and increase understanding of equality through direct teaching across the curriculum.
- To move beyond deterministic notions of fixed ability and to model teaching and learning behaviours that avoid labelling.
- To narrow the gap between the attainment of disadvantaged pupils and non-disadvantaged pupils attainment in reading, writing and maths in the primary phase (Y2 – Y6).
- To promote cultural development and understanding through a rich range of experience, both in and beyond the school.
- To eradicate prejudice related bullying in relation to the protected characteristics listed in the Equality Act 2010.
- To tackle prejudice and promote understanding in relation to people with disabilities.
- Ensuring equality of access for all pupils and preparing them for life in a diverse society in modern Britain.
- Providing opportunities for pupils to appreciate their own culture and celebrate the diversity of other cultures
- Seeking to involve all parents in supporting their child’s education
Equality in Admissions:
Our admission arrangements are fair and transparent.
Further information regarding this can be found here.
Equal Opportunities for staff:
All staff appointments and promotions are made on the basis of merit and ability and in compliance with the law.
The school has a full and separate Equal Opportunities Policy. Please consult this for further details.